Loading...

[Amazing] 25 Ways To Professionally Leave A Conversation Without Being Rude

Have you ever met someone who just doesn’t know when to stop talking? Unfortunately, this happens both inside and outside the business world. Some people drone on and on, oblivious that everyone else is bored out of their minds and just wants to make an exit as quickly as possible. If you’ve ever wanted to escape from a conversation in a professional manner, we’ve assembled 25 lines you can use to politely get the heck out of there.

There are many reasons why you might want to excuse yourself from a conversation. Maybe you need to get back to work; maybe the conversation is naturally ending, and you want to close it smoothly; or maybe there’s just no chemistry, and you want to escape from the uncomfortable situation. Whether this has happened to you while speaking on the phone, mingling at a networking event, chatting with a co-worker on your way around the office, or even meeting someone on the subway, these lines will help you make a quick getaway. Plus, best of all, they normally won’t offend the other person and will leave you in a good light. If you’ve ever wanted to become more socially excellent and work your way out of these situations, check out these 25 Ways to Professionally Leave a Conversation Without Being Rude.

25

"It seems like we've covered all the points we needed to touch on. If there's nothing else to discuss, see you at next week's meeting."

business meeting gone on too long

Image: Vimeo

24

"I'm feeling a bit peckish, so I'm going to take a quick break and grab a snack."

taking a break

Image: Pixabay

23

"Excuse me for a moment, I need to use the restroom."

men talking

Image: Beatrice Murch via Flickr

22

"Sounds like we've covered all we needed to get through, so I'll let you go. Thanks for a productive chat."

men-and-women-at-a-town-hall-meeting

Image: Free Stock Photos

21

"It's been a pleasure to chat. Do you have a business card?"

Alan_Hassenfeld,_Chairman,_Hasbro,_in_discussion_with_Hubert_Burda,_Chairman,_Hubert_Burda_Media,_at_the_Horasis_Global_India_Business_Meeting_2009

Image: Wikimedia

20

"I appreciate you jumping on this call with me and hope you have a great rest of your day. I'll be on the lookout for your email."

woman-working-at-her-desk

Image: Free Stock Photos

19

"It would be great to hear more about your gig when we have more time. Let's find a time to reconnect over a coffee."

Conversation with coffee in foreground

Image: Wikimedia

18

"My phone battery is going to die soon, so I'm going to have to jump off the call."

woman on cell phone

Image: Pexels

17

"Anyways, it was great talking to you again. I'll let you back to ___ (whatever they were doing)."

men shaking hands 2

Image: Maryland GovPics via Flickr

16

"It's been a pleasure talking with you. I'll send you a LinkedIn request so we can connect and keep up with each other."

woman working on telephone

Image: Pixabay

15

"Good to see we finished the meeting early. I'm going to head back to finish up some work so maybe I can leave early."

conversation after meeting

Image: commons.wikimedia

14

"Oh, there's Darlene. I've been trying to get ahold of her for weeks. Excuse me, would you?"

men in conversation

Image: hasgeek via Flickr

13

"Are you walking to your desk? I'll walk you back."

men talking and walking

Image: flickr, D Coetzee

12

"It's been great getting to know you a bit. Let me introduce you to someone whom I think you'd like to meet."

Young_Chamber_Networking_Function

Image: Wikimedia

11

"Someone else has this conference room booked right after us, so we should probably head out to let them in."

sales team meeting in conference room

Image: Jim Larrison

10

"I've got to send another few emails before the end of the day, so I'm going to head back to my desk."

men shaking hands

Image: Maryland GovPics via Flickr

9

"Woah, it's already 3 P.M. Do you mind if I let you go so I can finish up my to-do list for the day?"

Luisa_Dias_Diogo_Prime_Minister_of_Mozambique_greeting_Adao_Rocha_Senior_Councelor_of_the_Prime_Minister_of_Cabo_Verde_at_the_Horasis_Global_China_Business_Meeting_2009

Image: Wikimedia

8

"It's been great catching up, but I need to go because I've got another call in a few minutes I need to prepare for."

phone call walking

Image: Pexels

7

"I know your schedule is pretty hectic these days, so I'll get out of your hair. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you."

conversation at table 2

Image: Loren Kerns via Flickr

6

"Excuse me for a second, I need to check on something/someone."

excuse from conversation

Image: Chatham house via Flickr

5

While most of these have revolved around speaking, body language is also a great way to let someone know you want the conversation to end. If you're sitting down, try standing up and moving towards the door. Breaking eye contact and looking towards the door or your desk can also give the hint you want to get back to what you were doing.

woman looking away

Image: flickr, Writers Center Norwich

4

"Well, I've got to head back to my desk to finish up some work. Let's finish up later on."

men talking at table

Image: public domain images

3

"I want to find out the answers to your questions ASAP, so I'm going to jump off and go ask my colleagues. I'll shoot you an email later this week."

man on phone at desk

Image: Andrew Wippler via Flickr

2

"Thanks for a great meeting, everybody. I'll send out the notes when I get back to my desk."

russian german business meeting

Image: Kremlin

1

"It sounds like your ideas are really well fleshed out. I'm looking forward to seeing them come to fruition. I'm sure you've got a lot to get done in the meantime, so I'll let you get back to it."

conversation with computer

Image: Damien Pollet via Flickr

list 1976639264930949811

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item