Loading...

Exclusive - Doy Laurel In His Letter Addressed To Cory Aquino: 'The Nation Has Gone From Bad To Worse!'


This letter of the late Vice President Salvador H. Laurel to then-President Corazon C. Aquino is circulating around the social media.

The letter, dated August 13, 1988, showed how Doy was disillusioned with the fact that his running mate and the  woman he helped to become a President is actually dragging the country from bad to worse.

Doy also pointed out that Cory’s administration is no different from Marcos’ as the problems experienced during the Martial Law perios are the same problems existing during her time.

Read the full letter here:

“I write at a time of deep anguish for our people. And so I shall not burden you with undue sentiment. I shall go straight to the point.

You and I were called by Providence to serve at a turning point in our history. Our call to service was unique. We had sought our people’s vote in an election, but they gave us something more in a bloodless revolution that was to astound the world. At EDSA, we forged a covenant with God, country and people.

I have tried to live by the covenant. Because of it, I have kept faith with your presidency, even when it was not possible to discern its purpose. Like many concerned Filipinos, I too had my doubts. But the ardent hopes rekindled at EDSA made me decide to give you my best arm to help you lead our people to better times.

But it did not work out that way. And so after temporizing for 18 months, I was compelled to resign as Secretary of Foreign Affairs on September 8, 1987. At that point, ‘fundamental differences’ had grown between us that went ‘to the very roots of political beliefs and moral principles which determine our conduct and performance as ‘servants of the people’s will and the people’s well being.’ Indeed, we seemed to stand on opposite sides of the ideological conflict. But seeing the possible harm that our sudden separation then could inflict upon the nation, I decided at my own expense, to mute these differences and to hold my peace. I did not join the opposition.

Now I feel I must write this letter to you and I do so with a heavy heart. For you and I have gone through much hardship and danger together in our lonely fight to restore democracy in our country—and there are feelings, thoughts and memories that press for utterance.

But the true state of the nation must be told. And the painful truth is that the nation has gone from bad to worse, while you choose to stand aside in the puerile hope that the problems would simply solve themselves. The ‘new moral order’ to which we were solemnly committed has been perverted. It has become a haven for assassins and a den of thieves. Corruption, betrayal of the public trust and other high crimes have been laid at your door, including a complaint for impeachment, which your chief ally in Congress has already consigned to the archives.

We promised our people morality and decency in government. What do we have instead? The very opposite. It is now openly admitted by many, including your former Solicitor-General and some of your own close relatives in Congress, that the stench of “accumulated garbage”—I’m quoting your own first cousin, Congressman Emigdio Tanjuatco, Jr. —rises to high heaven; that the past years of Marcos are now beginning to look no worse than your first two years in office. And the reported controversies and scandals involving your closest relatives have become the object of our people’s outrage.

CONTINUE READING ON PAGE 2 


12 3
exclusive 5902439963973170684

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item